Holy Family Catholic Church
950 E Church Avenue
Jasper, IN - 47546
Office Hours: Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
|St. John Bosco Youth Ministries
214 W. 13th St.
Jasper, IN 47546
Cell Phone: 630-3794
990 Church Avenue
Jasper, IN 47546
Deacon David McDaniel, Fr. John Boeglin, Deacon Mike Helfter
Front: Diane Verkamp, Sally Sternberg, Jan Hasenour,
|Pastor:||Rev. John Boeglin||Finance Administrator:||Jan Hasenour|
|Deacons:||Mike Helfter & David McDaniel||Parish Secretary:||Diane Verkamp|
|Director of Faith Formation.:||Mary Altman||School Principal:|
|St. John Bosco Minister:||Carley Knapp||School Secretary:||Cindy Miller|
|Director of Music/Organist||Dan Racicot||Maintenance:||Tim Kempf|
As a welcoming family of believers, Holy Family Catholic Parish works together to know, love, and serve God through worshiping together, celebrating the sacraments, providing a strong Catholic education, actively engaging in faith formation, sharing God's Word, assisting those in need, and celebrating life together.
|Sundays:||6:30, 8:30 & 10:30 a.m.|
|Holy Days:||6:00 p.m.(eve), 6:00 a.m., 7:00 p.m.(day)|
|Weekdays:||7:50 a.m. Tue. - Fri.|
|Summer Weekdays:||7:30 a.m. Tue. - Fri.|
Mass Times for U.S. Catholic Parishes
or ph. 1-410-676-6000
Sacrament of Reconciliation:
Anytime by appointment or Saturdays from 4: p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
Sacrament of Baptism:
After 10:30 a.m. Mass on the first and third Sundays;
Please call the rectory for Baptism Preparation classes.
Sacrament of Marriage:
Arrangements are to be made at the rectory six months prior to the wedding date.
Sacrament of the Sick:
Please call the rectory to make arrangements.
Communion to the Sick and Homebound:
Wednesday mornings beginning at 9:00 a.m.
Please call the rectory if you wish to receive.
To request a Stephen Minister, call the parish office.
Adults or Teens Who Wish to Become Catholics:
Call the rectory or RCIA director, Sharon Burger at 482-5682
In 1835 the first known record of Catholics of German descent arrived in Dubois County. Indiana had just become the 19th state of the Union in 1816. The first county seat was Portersville. In 1830 the Enlow family who had owned a grist mill on the Patoka River named this community "Jasper". In that same year the county seat moved to Jasper. Before the Germans arrived, Native Americans and non-Catholic immigrants from Scotland and England were the inhabitants of Dubois County.
German immigrants were attracted to this area due to similar surroundings as their native homeland of Europe. The early immigrants brought along their deep Catholic heritage. And, of course, they desired to be spiritually fed by their Catholic faith. The first Catholic Bishop, Simon Brute of Vincennes, appointed Fr. Joseph Kundek to be the Vicar General for the German speaking Catholics. It would he Fr. Kundek's role to nurture the Catholic tradition through ambitious building projects. St. Joseph Parish became the first and only parish for the Jasper area from 1837 to 1951.
After the first 125 years of local Catholicism, the needs for more services and churches became an obvious necessity. The "Mutterkirche" of St. Joseph could not handle all of the sacramental needs. Henry H. Grimmelsmann was just named Bishop of the newly formed Diocese of Evansville in 1944. One of his first acts of business was to address the needs of the Jasper Catholic community. He purchased 13.5 acres of land from Rose and Joseph Hasenour for $1.00 to build a new church in the "Little Kentucky" area. This area had received its name because of its location southeast of the Patoka River.
In the "Herald" on June 3, 1947 the headlines read "St. Joseph Parish is to be divided". Fr. Othmar Schroeder, age 33, and an associate at St. Joseph was appointed to be the founding Pastor to the new church of "Little Kentucky". Although it was announced in 1947, the Official Decree of establishment of the parish is January 15, 1948. At that time the name of Holy Family was chosen for the new Catholic community of Jasper. It took about 4 years from the first public announcement to build the first complex. The first mass on this site was on June 16, 1951 in the new gym church.
In those four years the Little Kentucky Pipelines Corporation was formed to bring water to the proposed site. This was financed through the local land owners and the parish. In the fall of 1949 the original complex of the eight room school and gymnasium were begun. This parish started at that time with a census of 221 households. In the fall of 1951 Holy Family School began with enrollment of 207 students while the Sisters of Providence, living at St. Joe Convent provided leadership.
In 1953 the parish built a new red brick residence for the Sisters on Holy Family Drive. That remained the convent until a larger building could be built on the property next to the school in 1959. Fr. Schroeder who lived above the sacristy moved to the old Sisters' house and the red brick became the first official rectory. This building is now the home of John and Betty Keusch.
As the enrollment increased Holy Family built eight additional classrooms in 1968. This section extends to the west of the original structure.
In June of 1975 Fr. Schroeder now known as Monsignor Schroeder, the founding pastor, moved to Sacred Heart, Schnellville. He had given 28 years of his priestly life for the establishment and development of Holy Family Parish.
In 1977 groundbreaking took place for the new church. The present church was dedicated on the Feast of the Holy Family on December 30, 1979. The church has become world famous for its windows depicting the biblical story of the Holy Family on the right side and the historical development of Jasper on the left side of the sanctuary. The following year the present rectory was completed across from the church.